Quick and Easy Lamb Dinner with Pita Bread
This recipe is served on hummus, so you can either make your own or buy a couple of different flavour combinations and spread some of each on half the platter as your base.
- 500g lamb mince
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1 red onion, finely diced
- 1 tsp crushed chilli
- 400 g can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- Juice 2 lemons
- 1–2 cloves garlic (optional)
- 3 tbsp tahini
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 4 tbsp water
- Bunch fresh coriander, roughly chopped (optional)
- Baby spinach
- 1 red capsicum, you can add to the mince or add raw – your choice!
- ½ cup roasted pistachio nuts or slivered almonds
- Lemon zest
- Balsamic syrup glaze (or pomegranate molasses)
- Natural Yoghurt (diary or coconut) with lemon zest and chopped mint in a bowl to serve
In a food processor, combine chickpeas, lemon juice, garlic (if using) and tahini. Pulse until smooth. With the machine running, slowly add olive oil and water and blend until smooth. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Set hummus aside in the fridge.
Make yoghurt dip, simply mix with lemon zest and mint and a pinch of salt.
Heat oil in a non-stick frying-pan over a moderate heat. Fry onion slowly until softened, and add lamb mince, mushrooms, and red pepper if you prefer it cooked. Cook the mixture until mince is crispy and well browned, then add chilli and season with salt and pepper.
To assemble, place hummus onto a serving plate and, using the back of a spoon, top with some baby spinach then spoon the crispy lamb over hummus and sprinkle coriander, nuts and lemon zest over the plate. Drizzle with balsamic syrup and serve at room temperature with warmed pita bread. This is a great sharing dish and suits most tastes!